Monday, June 15, 2009

To all of our friends,
We are here at the Mwingi Cottage Hotel. I am feeling the sweetest breeze as I sit here posting this blog. The place I am sitting is where we actually have our meals. It is open to the air and I really love it. To the average American, this place is probably a bit rustic, but to these wonderful people here, it is the best. There is no heat and no air but believe it or not, it really isn't that bad. Where God sends us, God equips us. I am having the best time ever just being dirty and not caring too much about it! Hey, in America, I wouldn't dare go out without makeup or without having a shower!. Here, nobody cares so it really is great! I guess that shows how ridiculous we are sometimes. Those things are not what is important. What IS important is that we share our hearts and our love for God with people everywhere, not just here in Africa.
Today, we went to Kamuwongo to help complete a church building. I , for some unknown reason, was so completely ready to get on the roof! I just could hardly wait to get up there! So finally the time came and they asked who wanted on the roof. I think my hand was the first up. THEN, they showed us the way. We had to climb a ladder that was handmade and quite unsteady. It was a little scary, to be honest but I was so excited that I just got on up there. Then we had to get all the way across the roof to the other end. Now that was really scary because there is nothing to catch you if you show be so unlucky as to fall. Still God equipped me and I did it. At first I was clueless as to what to do, but Pastor Euticauls was right there showing me the way. Before long I had figured it out and knew what to do and when to do it. I was so completely thrilled that I just couldn't stop! I LOVED it! I now am sporting a bruised finger from missing a few times but it won't stop me from getting right back up there tomorrow! I think I had the best job of anyone because from my position up on the roof, I could see everything. I could see the other team members teaching the children and adults as well, to jump rope. I could see them all loving on the children and bringing smiles to so many faces. I believe that maybe I was seeing a glimpse of heaven. This place, these people, are so happy, yet they have nothing. This very building is like a mansion from heaven to them. I am so blessed to be able to be a very small part of it. I cannot even describe the feeling I have had since being here. It brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. The freedom here is just unmatched. We think we are the free ones but I have to say that we are truly not the free ones. These people are the free ones. They are so free in worship and so free in their lives that it is really hard not to feel just a bit jealous. It makes you want to just stay here and live with these people forever. There just are no boundaries to what we can learn from them. We think we are coming here to teach them, but they end up teaching us. And then in the misst of everything God allows you to be used to bring one more soul to His kingdom. It is just the most amazing thing! I am sad to say that it took me 48 years to go on a mission trip. Now that I am 50 years old, I wish that I had more time to do this. More years that I can step out of my comfort zone and help someone in need. But, I will do what I can while I can and I think that God will be happy with that. I would encourage anyone who is willing to just say, "Send me." You truly do not have to know what you are doing, because as I said before, God equips you. If I had waited to a time that I was comfortable with what I am doing, then I would still not be here. Don't wait! Allow God to use you now and go where you don't think you can go, and watch God work. It will be the most amazing thing you will ever do in your life!
With Love From Kenya,
Karen Hicks

1 comment:

  1. So exciting to hear what God is doing for everyone involved! Thanks for the update, we're checking this blog regularly and praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete