Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hello From Africa! Jambo!

Let me begin by saying, wow! The past week has been the most blessed period of sensory overload that you could ever imagine! We have done so much in such a short period of time that last Sunday seems like a month ago. Today was totally amazing! We spent the day with Duncan, a name famous in North Side/Africa mission trip circles. He is a young man with a powerful heart for God. His ministry deals with HIV/AIDS care and counseling. We visited his facility and home in Limuru. The facility is very humble to look at but serves a huge need in counseling people medically, spiritually and financially. We then traveled to another facility he sponsors to take care of six boys that he has “adopted.” Kenya and tribal laws are very strict, and since Duncan is not yet married, he can’t legally adopt the boys. He has, however, opened a place in Kiburu where the boys live with a teacher and a “mama.” The kitchen is outside, as are the bathrooms and the banana trees surround the compound. We also visited two orphanages. The first cared for children of imprisoned parents. The last was a home for orphans and local children around Limuru – some were abandoned by their parents – and all are considered “at risk.” If nothing else, I have learned one thing over the last days. Joy is from within, not from without. These children.. these people have nothing.
Food and water are scarce…clothes are ragged…and the bare essentials are the best they can hope for. Yet they are joyous! Their smiles are genuine and their songs to the Lord are filled with passion. Without a doubt, they have a drunk from Jesus’ well of living water. Their hope is in heaven - in eternal life. They have changed my life. Continue to pray for us and God bless!

“Pastor Scott” Dublin

3 comments:

  1. Dad,
    I hope you are feeling better. I am praying for you to be AWESOME from the pulpit, and filled with HIS spirit tomorrow. I will be thinking of you tomorrow on Father's Day, knowing I have been given the BEST DAD God could give a girl. I love you and am so proud to call YOU MY DAD!!!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,
    I hope you are feeling better. I am praying for you to be powerful from the pulpit and filled with HIS spirit tomorrow. I will be thinking of you on Father's Day, knowing God has given me the BEST Dad a girl could ask for. I love you and am so proud to call you MY DAD!!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, my comments posted twice as it said the first one did not go through. I'm sure you won't mind reading it twice:)!!!!!

    ReplyDelete