Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tired but Happy



What a wonderful day this was. We finished the roof in only 1 1/2 days (we had expected it to take us three full days). You can see the new roof (and the happy but slightly exhausted team) in the photo to the left. Every member of the team worked on the roof in one way or another. Many ventured up the ladder to drive nails, and Karen Hicks drew stares of admiration from the residents on the ground and a ton of respect from her teammates as she worked with hammer in hand on virtually the entire roof.

After another delicious lunch prepared by the ladies of Baptist Chapel who came to Kamuwongo, we walked to the local elementary and high schools where we broke into small teams and visited classes. In those classes we answered questions about life in the United States, but most importantly, we shared the good news of Jesus Christ, and were warmly received by students, teachers, and adminnistrators. Before we left, the students serenaded us with "Jesus Loves Me' and other favorite songs. All-in-all, we were blessed beyond description again today, but that no longer surprises. I must close now and get some sleep because these days are leaving us all very, very tired but with big smiles on our faces and even bigger smiles in our hearts.

Jerry Hawkins <><

7 comments:

  1. I wish I were with you, I can see you have an Awesome team this trip. My church and I are praying for you. Jim Coonce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - so proud of ya'll! The roof looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad,
    I can't find you in the picture. Is that you on the second row at the far right with the hat? It looks as if you guys are making lots of progress over there. I bet Euticauls is a very happy man. I wanted to let you know that Katie made a profession of faith last night at bible school. I quizzed her and she knows all of the right answers. She is only 7, and knows more about this process than some adults I know. She will go down front on Sunday morning to make her decision public. What a great Father's Day present. I love you and miss you. Hug all of the sweet children for me. I know there are many.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa Reynolds,
    You look terrific in the picture. I'm glad you let them take a picture of you and post on the blog. We are so proud of you for the work you and the team are doing but we do miss seeing your smiling face. I'm so glad that you can share that smile with others. Take care and continue to do the work that God has sent you to do. You and the team are in my prayers daily. I will look forward to seeing more pictures on the blog.
    Love you,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. there are a lot of people praying for you guys. God has a plan, and a huge smile on his face at the moment! I am so happy to see you, Melissa, living your dream again. I can see the peace in your emails. God bless you and your team, I love you, Mom

    USE ME GOD TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A;OSF HAF GHH GHAH ;SNGJSHFBJSUHIGSIT H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HABARI YAKO!??!?! NE MAY YAMBA!!!!!! (If you're having trouble translating that last bit and need help from Euti, its sure to give him a good laugh!) :o) I am so proud of the work you guys have completed over there and am praying for you guys daily. Keep up the GREAT work. I know our God is so proud of each and everyone of you. LOVE YOU!!! -Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete